Cutting Through the Clutter
The further you go in your academics, especially in upper level history or English courses, you may find yourself more frequently facing the scenario where you have hundreds of pages of reading assigned and only a few days to complete it all. I remember when I first encountered that kind of situation; I felt extremely stressed and overwhelmed with what seemed to be a Herculean task. Over the years, and especially during my time at college, it is extremely important to learn the skill of cutting through the clutter and maximizing your reading efficiency. How do you cut through the clutter?
The main idea of cutting through the clutter is devoting the majority of your time on the important points of the book or article while skimming through the less crucial portions.
- Spend a good portion of your time on the introduction and conclusion of the article or book. These areas typically summarize the entire argument that the author is trying to make!
- If you have time, then go through the article looking for the main sub-points in each section. This will often be found near the beginning of each sub-section.
- Annotate, Annotate, Annotate! Write down what the main point of the article, followed by the sub points that might expand or defend the point the author is trying to make.
Learning how to cut through the clutter is skill that you continue to learn over time, but the more you practice this skill the more efficient you will be able to read long passages and the more you will be able to recall the important points that the author is trying to convey.
- 4 Things To Think About When Choosing Your Study Abroad Destination
- Senioritis and College Applications
- Sleep is Sweet: How catching zzz’s increases performance
- How to Avoid Plagiarism
- The Importance of Reviewing Homework
Elite Private Tutors is a world-class tutoring service helping students in Math tutoring, English tutoring, History tutoring, Spanish tutoring, SAT tutoring, Science Tutoring, ACT tutoring, ISEE tutoring, and much more. We deliver concierge-level service and are a boutique agency located in Houston, Texas. Please click here for more information.
The Four Year Plan is a book and online course that will help students get into the college of their dreams. Plan your strategy to get into your dream college, learn how to make your college application stand out, draft the perfect college essay, and more insider secrets and strategies from our college consultants. Click here for an easy, step-by-step plan for applying to colleges and writing your college essays.